What Is Trust?
Countries need to be able to trust that 5G equipment and software companies will not threaten their national security, privacy, intellectual property, or human rights. Trust cannot exist where telecom vendors are subject to an authoritarian government, like the People’s Republic of China (PRC), that lacks an independent judiciary or rule of law that would prevent misuse of data.
- Trust means 5G equipment and software companies are not subject to control by an authoritarian government and have judicial recourse to successfully challenge government overreach. However, Huawei and ZTE, along with other Chinese companies, are secretly required to cooperate with Chinese intelligence services and security agencies.
- Trust means 5G equipment and software companies are financed openly and transparently using standard best practices in procurement, investment, and contracting. However, Huawei has benefited from subsidies, tens of billions in state-backed loans, and protected sales to operators within China, while being entangled in global corruption cases.
- Trust means 5G equipment and software companies have transparent ownership, partnerships, and corporate governance structures. However, Huawei refuses to reveal its corporate structure or explain its connections to the Chinese Communist Party.
- Trust means 5G equipment and software companies exemplify a commitment to innovation, respect for intellectual property rights, and a history of ethical corporate behavior. However, Huawei has a long and well-documented history of intellectual property theft.
- Trust means 5G equipment and software companies adhere to industry best practices on network security to promote a vibrant and robust supply of products and services. However, numerous technical reports document Huawei’s shoddy software and security practices.
- Trust means that 5G equipment and software companies do not break the law. However, Huawei is implicated in espionage on behalf of the People’s Republic of China, has stolen intellectual property from Western competitors, and is accused of corrupt practices throughout the world. How can such a company be trusted?