Citizenship Services

One can become a U.S. citizen through a variety of means—birth in the United States, birth abroad to a U.S. citizen parent, or through the naturalization process.  For all of these, a specific series of legal requirements must be met. At the U.S. Embassy in Romania, we can provide U.S. citizenship services for eligible individuals born abroad to U.S. citizen parents.  Our Embassy also processes Certificates of Loss of Nationality for those U.S. citizens who would like to give up their U.S. citizenship or believe that they have expatriated themselves.

What Service Do You Require?

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (under age 18)

As a U.S. citizen parent(s), you should report your child’s birth abroad as soon as possible to the U.S. Embassy or a U.S. Consulate to establish an official record of the child’s claim to or acquisition of U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record will be the Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), Form FS-240. This form is evidence of U.S. citizenship, issued to a child born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).  CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday.

For more information on CRBA applications, please visit our “Birth” page.

Claims to U.S. Citizenship (over age 18)

If you are over the age of 18, were born to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, and believe that you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please review this website for more information on U.S. nationality law.  If, after reviewing it, you still believe you have a claim to citizenship, please visit our Passports  page to make an appointment.



Renunciation is the most unequivocal way in which a person can manifest an intention to relinquish U.S. citizenship. Review legal requirements and possible expatriating acts before beginning this processLoss of U.S. citizenship is a serious and irrevocable act. It is imperative that you fully understand the nature of its consequences prior to requesting a Certificate of Loss of Nationality. For questions related to possible tax implications, please contact the Internal Revenue Service. For questions related to Social Security or other federal benefits, please contact the Social Security Administration.

To renounce U.S. citizenship, you must voluntarily and with intent to relinquish U.S. citizenship appear in person before a U.S. consular or diplomatic officer in a foreign country (normally at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate) to sign an oath of renunciation and pay a $2,350.00 fee.

Americans cannot effectively renounce their citizenship by mail, through an agent, or while in the United States because of the provisions of section 349(a) (5) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. Renunciations that do not meet the conditions described above have no legal effect. Expatriation can never be exercised by another person, including parents and/ or legal guardians.

If you wish to apply for a Certificate of Loss of Nationality you will be required to attend an appointment with a consular officer. At the time of your appointment a consular officer will interview you and, if necessary, administer the Oath of Renunciation and forward your application to the Department of State for review. This process may take several months to complete.

Overview of the Renunciation Process:

  • Contact the American Citizen Services section by email, providing the required information (see below). Upon receipt of your email, we will review the information for completeness.
  • When your request is considered complete and we have all the information we need to develop your case, we will contact you to schedule an initial interview conducted by a consular officer. If you decide that you wish to renounce U.S. nationality we will schedule an appointment for you to appear at the Consulate for the renunciation ceremony.
  • On the day of your appointment, you will execute the following forms in the presence of the consular officer. You are advised to familiarize yourself with these forms prior to your interview.
  • You will have to submit the following required documents:
    • Evidence of U.S. Citizenship (Most recent U.S. passport, Certificate of Naturalization, Certificate of Citizenship)
    • Evidence of a foreign citizenship (foreign passport of certificate of citizenship)
    • Evidence of any name changes, if applicable (for instance marriage or divorce certificates, court orders or deed polls)
  • Your Loss of Nationality application and supporting documents will be forwarded to the Department of State in Washington, D.C. for consideration and adjudication, a process that may take between 3-6 months. U.S. citizenship documents will be retained until the Loss of Nationality is adjudicated by the Department of State. At this time, the American Citizen Services will contact you with their determination.
  • The current fee is due at the time you appear at the U.S. Consulate to finalize your Loss of Nationality.

To Begin the Renunciation Process

If you decide that this is the course of action you wish to pursue, please send us an email at In your email, you must provide the following information.

  • Provide your current name.
  • Provide your full name at birth (if different to current name).
  • Provide your date of birth.
  • Provide your place of birth (city/state/country).
  • Provide your current mailing address and telephone number.
  • Your last known address in the United States.
  • Provide your most recent U.S. passport number and date of issuance.
  • Provide the dates you resided in the United States.
  • If you are a naturalized U.S. citizen, please advise the date you naturalized and where.
  • Provide details of the other nationality/ies you hold, and how and when it was acquired (e.g. Australia, by birth).
  • Please scan and email copies of your U.S. passport and, if applicable, your U.S. naturalization certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad.
  • Please scan and email copies of your foreign passport and/or foreign nationality certificate.
  • If you wish to provide a separate written explanation of your reasons for renouncing, please attach it as a Word document.

Renouncing All Rights and Privileges

A person who wants to renounce U.S. citizenship cannot decide to retain some of the privileges of citizenship, as this would be logically inconsistent with the concept of renunciation. A person who attempts to retain some rights lacks a full understanding of renouncing citizenship and/or lacks the necessary intent to renounce citizenship. The Department of State will not approve a loss of citizenship in such instances.

Dual Nationality / Statelessness

If you renounce your U.S. citizenship and do not already possess a foreign nationality, you may be rendered stateless and, thus, lack the protection of any government. You may also have difficulty traveling as you may not be entitled to a passport from any country. Even if you are not stateless, you would still be required to obtain a visa to travel to the United States, or show that you are eligible for admission pursuant to the terms of the Visa Waiver Pilot Program (VWPP). You could be barred from entering the United States if found ineligible for a visa or the VWP, under certain circumstances. Nonetheless, renunciation of U.S. citizenship may not prevent a foreign country from deporting an individual back to the United States, in some non-citizen status.

Tax & Military Obligations 

Also, renouncing your U.S. citizenship may have no effect whatsoever on your U.S. tax or military service obligations. (Contact the Internal Revenue Service or U.S. Selective Service for more information). In addition, the act of renouncing U.S. citizenship will not allow you to avoid possible prosecution for crimes which they may have committed in the United States, or escape the repayment of financial obligations previously incurred in the United States or incurred as United States citizens abroad.

The U.S. Internal Revenue Service provides tax forms and instructions for expatriates’ filing purposes.

Renunciation For Minors

Parents cannot renounce U.S. citizenship on behalf of their children. Before an oath of renunciation will be administered under Section 349(a) (5) of the INA, a person under the age of eighteen must convince a U.S. diplomatic or consular officer that he/she fully understands the nature and consequences of the oath of renunciation, is not subject to duress or undue influence, and is voluntarily seeking to renounce his/her U.S. citizenship.

Irrevocability of Renunciation

Finally, renouncing U.S. citizenship is irrevocable and cannot be canceled or set aside without successful administrative or judicial appeal. An applicant who renounced his or her U.S. citizenship before the age of eighteen can have that citizenship reinstated if he or she makes that desire known to the Department of State within six months after attaining the age of eighteen.