Location: Downtown Bucharest, Romania
Event: Four separate demonstrations and protests are expected to take place on Saturday, June 9, 2018. The locations and timing of these events overlap to some degree and the number of attendees is expected to be large. It is expected that normal pedestrian and vehicular traffic in these areas will be adversely affected.
- LGBT Rally and March: 1730 to 2030
Location and Routes: Victoriei Square sidewalks (gathering point), to Calea Victoriei, to Regina Elisabeta Blvd, to University Square (statue area & final point)
- “Normality” Rally and March by Noua Dreapta: 1300 to 1630
Purpose of the event: A counter-march or protest to the above.
Location and Routes: Victoriei Square sidewalks (gathering point), to Lascar Catargiu Blvd, to Romană Square, to Magheru Blvd, to Nicolae Bălcescu Blvd, to University Square, to I.C. Brătianu Blvd, to Halelor Str, to Independenţei Way, to Romanian Patriarchy Hill (bottom of the hill & final point)
- Social Democratic Party (PSD) Rally: 2000 to 2200
Estimated numbers: 200,000 (many are expected to travel in from all over the country)
Location: Victoriei Square
Note: Traffic restrictions will be in place from 1400, especially around Victoriei Square and the surrounding boulevards and streets in that neighborhood.
- Counter PSD Rally: Unknown hours, but probably the same timeframe as the PSD Rally
Location: Victoriei Square area
U.S. Citizens are advised to avoid aggressive or agitated crowds while remaining alert and aware of their surroundings at all times.
Actions to Take:
- Consider alternate routes, plan schedules accordingly, and have an “escape” path in mind when moving through crowded areas to avoid being injured if a disturbance occurs.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates