Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania (April 2, 2020)
Event: In his remarks on Tuesday, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo reiterated our steadfast commitment to Americans abroad, but emphasized that “all Americans who wish to return home should do so immediately and make arrangements to accomplish that.” He said that the U.S. government cannot guarantee the ability to arrange chartered flights indefinitely where commercial options no longer exist. Americans abroad should arrange for immediate return to the United States if they are not prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
International flight options are available from Bucharest through TAROM and Wizz Air with Amsterdam serving as the primary transit point. British Airways is offering flights on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday this week to London Heathrow. TAROM is scheduled to restart service to London Heathrow Saturday.
U.S. citizens who remain in Romania are reminded to utilize the Ministry of Interior’s personal and employment declaration forms when traveling outside of the home. Both forms, as well as the latest information about military ordinances, may be found on the Ministry of Interior’s website here.
The U.S. Department of State maintains a Global Level 4 Health Advisory: Do Not Travel. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Romania as well as a Global Level 3 Travel Notice.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens who live abroad should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
- Visit the Otopeni “Henri Coanda” International Airport website for a schedule of departing flights and check with airlines for updated information about your travel plans.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and the CDC’s latest recommendations on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Information on conditions in Romania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444