Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania (April 23, 2020)
Event: In an April 21 address, President Iohannis said a gradual relaxation of restrictions could be possible after May 15 if there is a decrease in cases and death rates. He said the measures would only be revised based on scientific and medical evidence. Currently there is no plan to quarantine people over 65 for several months while economic activity resumes.
Commercial flights are suspended through early May to and from most European connections, as well as Turkey. TAROM suspended service through May 1. Wizz Air operates flights to Lisbon, Malmo, Stockholm, and Oslo. Additional one-time flights are available when demand is sufficient, but they occur with little to no notice. Please check the Otopeni “Henri Coanda” International Airport website for a schedule of departing flights and check with airlines for updated information about your travel plans.
Please continue to monitor all security alerts from the U.S. Embassy and obey all ordinances currently put in place by the Romanian government. The latest updates from the Romanian Ministry of Interior are available here.
The U.S. Department of State maintains a Global Level 4 Health Advisory: Do Not Travel. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Romania as well as a Global Level 3 Travel Notice.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens who live abroad should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
- Visit the Otopeni “Henri Coanda” International Airport website for a schedule of departing flights and check with airlines for updated information about your travel plans.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and to ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and the CDC’s latest recommendations on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Information on conditions in Romania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444