Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania (April 28, 2020)
Event: On April 27, 2020, the Government of Romania announced Military Ordinance 10, which permits people over age 65 to leave their home any time during the day for professional activities, medical treatment or procedures that cannot be postponed, or to deliver agricultural products. Between 07:00-11:00 and 19:00-22:00 people over 65 may also leave their home to shop for basic necessities, to exercise or walk a pet, or for justified reasons such as caring for a minor or an elderly person with a medical condition or disability. The Ministry of Interior’s personal and employment declaration forms are still required when traveling outside of the home.
Military Ordinance 10 also extends the suspension of flights to and from Spain through May 11 and to and from Italy, France, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, the U.S., the U.K., the Netherlands, Turkey, and Iran through May 14. Wizz Air continues to operate flights to Lisbon, Malmo, Stockholm, Oslo, and Billund. Additional one-time flights are available when demand is sufficient, but they occur with little to no notice. Please check the Otopeni “Henri Coanda” International Airport website for a schedule of departing flights and check with airlines for updated information about your travel plans.
President Iohannis also announced that schools and universities will not reopen in Romania until September when the next school year begins, except for students in their final years who are permitted to return to school between June 2 and June 12 to prepare for national exams.
Please continue to monitor all security alerts from the U.S. Embassy and obey all ordinances currently put in place by the Romanian government. The latest updates, as well as personal and employment declaration forms, are available on the Romanian Ministry of Interior’s website here.
The U.S. Department of State maintains a Global Level 4 Health Advisory: Do Not Travel. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Romania as well as a Global Level 3 Travel Notice.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens who live abroad should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
- Visit the Otopeni “Henri Coanda” International Airport website for a schedule of departing flights and check with airlines for updated information about your travel plans.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and to ensure you can be located in an emergency.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and the CDC’s latest recommendations on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Information on conditions in Romania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444