Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania (April 3, 2020)
Event: International commercial flight options currently exist in Romania. U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements as soon as possible unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Romania at this time.
Flight availability is limited. International flight options are available from Bucharest through TAROM and Wizz Air with Amsterdam serving as the primary transit point. British Airways is offering flights today and Saturday to London Heathrow. TAROM is scheduled to restart service three times per week to London Heathrow beginning on Saturday.
U.S. citizens who remain in Romania are reminded to utilize the Ministry of Interior’s personal and employment declaration forms when traveling outside of the home. Both forms, as well as the latest information about military ordinances, may be found on the Ministry of Interior’s website here.
The U.S. Department of State maintains a Global Level 4 Health Advisory: Do Not Travel. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Romania as well as a Global Level 3 Travel Notice.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens who live abroad should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
- Visit the Otopeni “Henri Coanda” International Airport website for a schedule of departing flights and check with airlines for updated information about your travel plans.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and the CDC’s latest recommendations on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Information on conditions in Romania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania
B-dul Dr. Liviu Librescu, nr 4-6
Section 1, 014118, Bucuresti
Embassy website: https://ro.usembassy.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444