Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania (April 4, 2020)
Event: On April 4, 2020, the Government of Romania announced Military Ordinance 7, which will suspend commercial flights to and from Austria, Belgium, Switzerland, the U.S., the U.K. and Northern Ireland, the Netherlands, Turkey, and Iran for 14 days beginning April 5, 2020 at 23:00. This is in addition to already suspending commercial flights to and from Italy, Spain, Germany, and France. Military Ordinance 7 also prohibits international ground transportation to and from most of these same countries and places the city of Tandarei under quarantine.
U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States should make commercial arrangements immediately unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period. Prior to the enforcement of Military Ordinance 7 tomorrow night, some international flight options may still be available, but interested parties should contact their airline directly. The U.S. government does not anticipate arranging repatriation flights in Romania at this time.
U.S. citizens who remain in Romania are reminded to utilize the Ministry of Interior’s personal and employment declaration forms when traveling outside of the home. Both forms, as well as the latest information about military ordinances, may be found on the Ministry of Interior’s website here.
The U.S. Department of State maintains a Global Level 4 Health Advisory: Do Not Travel. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Romania as well as a Global Level 3 Travel Notice.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens who live abroad should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
- Visit the Otopeni “Henri Coanda” International Airport website for a schedule of departing flights and check with airlines for updated information about your travel plans.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and the CDC’s latest recommendations on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Information on conditions in Romania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444