March 15, 2020
Event: Romanian Interior Minister Vela announced on March 15 that the National Committee for Special Emergency Situations decided on March 14 that all asymptomatic individuals arriving in Romania through land or air points of entry and originating from or transiting within the previous 14 days any country with at least 500 confirmed cases of COVID-19, must self-isolate at home for 14 days. The new measure, which adds to Romania’s existing requirement that travelers arriving from countries on its “yellow zone” list self-isolate at home, takes effect as of 2100 on March 15.
These requirements apply to all travelers coming from the United States and most European countries (visit the World Health Organization website at https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019/situation-reports/).
The State Department currently recommends U.S. citizens reconsider travel. See CDC information regarding high-risk traveler categories.
Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information regarding Romania’s and all foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
Actions to Take:
- Call Romania’s 112 emergency number if you believe you have symptoms and are currently in Romania.
- Consult the CDC websitefor the most up-to-date information on the disease.
- For information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.govfor the latest information regarding foreign countries’ quarantine requirements and other global impacts.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19for information on conditions in Romania
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions affecting travel to the U.S.
- Visit the Romanian Ministry of Public Health COVID-19 Guidance http://www.ms.ro/coronavirus-covid-19
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Bucharest located at 4-6 Liviu Librescu Bd., telephone +40212706000, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am to 12:00 pm. After hours emergency number is +40212003300.
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or +1 202-501-4444
- Romania Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security updates