Event: The Romanian Minister of Interior announced Military Ordinance 3, which takes effect March 25 at noon local time. Under this ordinance, citizens 65 and older are only allowed to leave home between 1100 and 1300 and even then, their activities are restricted to shopping, medical assistance, caring for a minor or elder and individual walks. President Iohannis announced that the restrictions under Military Ordinance 3 regarding restrictions of movement with exceptions including for necessary work, provision of goods, and medical care, are obligations as of today. Employees will need to show declaration with basic details and reason for travel (can show electronic version). All commercial flights to and from Germany and France are suspended for 14 days, effective March 25, at 2300 Bucharest time. Exception are the cargo transports, humanitarian, technical, and mail transports. For more information see https://www.mai.gov.ro/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/Ordonanta-militara-nr.-3-din-24.03.2020.pdf
For English translation, please see https://www.mai.gov.ro/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/ordinance-3-EN-1.pdf.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Romania. See https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-romania
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel agency regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Information on conditions in Romania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
- U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania
B-dul Dr. Liviu Librescu, nr 4-6
Section 1, 014118, Bucuresti
Embassy website: ro.usembassy.gov
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Romania Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter