Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania (March 27, 2020)
Event: U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements as soon as possible, while flights are still available. British Airways has announced that it plans to schedule several flights from Bucharest to London for the week of March 29 to April 4. The Lufthansa Group (Lufthansa, Austrian Airlines, and Swiss Air) announced that they have suspended flights until April 19 into and out of Bucharest OTP Airport. KLM will suspend flights between Bucharest and Amsterdam between March 28 and May 3. TAROM announced the suspension of all domestic flights for 14 days. Currently, TAROM is still scheduled to fly to Istanbul and Amsterdam. Turkish Airlines will suspend service between Bucharest and Istanbul following their flight on March 27 but will continue service from Istanbul to New York and Washington. Additionally, regional airports in Cluj and Timisoara are reporting cancellations and possible closures.
Please check with the airlines as the schedules change with very little notice. Many travelers worldwide have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability. If your travel has been disrupted, please contact your airline.
U.S. citizens resident in Romania must adhere to the required guidelines in Military Ordinance 3, which went into effect on Wednesday, March 25, at noon. An English translation of the ordinance is available here (.PDF file, in English, unknown size). U.S. citizens who need to leave their home for one of the excepted reasons should fill out and prepare the attached Self Declaration form, and keep it with them at all times.
Please enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and to ensure you can be located in an emergency.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel agency regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Information on conditions in Romania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania
B-dul Dr. Liviu Librescu, nr 4-6
Section 1, 014118, Bucuresti
Embassy website: ro.usembassy.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444