Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania (March 30, 2020)
Event: On 29 March, the Ministry of the Interior published Military Ordinance Number 4. Military Ordinance 4 clarifies movements for persons over 65 years of age. Persons over 65 can leave their homes at any time for medical treatment, but they may not travel to scheduled treatments on public transportation, only in a car or ambulance. Persons over 65 can walk their pets between 2000 and 2100 each evening. Stores will prioritize access for those over 65 between 1100 and 1300 each day. The Romanian language version of Military Ordinance Number 4 is here: https://www.mai.gov.ro/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/OM-4.pdf The English language version of Military Ordinance Number 4 is here: https://www.mai.gov.ro/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/ordinance-4-2020-EN.pdf
Effective immediately, TAROM has suspended all passenger flights to and from Istanbul until 30 April 2020. Travelers can reschedule or request reimbursement. Additional information is available here: https://www.tarom.ro/en/news/passeger-information-flights-tofrom-istanbul
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 Travel Notice for Romania. See https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-romania
Please enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts and to ensure you can be located in an emergency.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel agency regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Information on conditions in Romania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania
B-dul Dr. Liviu Librescu, nr 4-6
Section 1, 014118, Bucuresti
Embassy website: ro.usembassy.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444