March 18, 2020
Event: Due to the ongoing outbreak of COVID-19 and the Presidential Proclamations banning entrance into the United States of foreigners who have been in certain areas in the 14 days prior to proposed entrance, we are proving updated information on which services we are currently providing.
The American Citizen Services unit remains open and will provide passport and notarial services by appointment. We strongly encourage applicants with pending consular appointments who (1) were physically present in affected areas within the last 14 days, (2) are experiencing flu-like symptoms, or (3) believe they may have been exposed to the novel coronavirus, to postpone their appointments by at least 14 days.
For information on the March 11, 2020 Presidential Proclamation on travel from and transiting through Europe, see the Department of State’s Frequently Asked Questions page. For information related to arriving in the United States, refer to the Department of Homeland Security’s website for details.
Please continue to follow updated health and travel information on the following link: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel.html.
Effective March 15 for non-immigrant visas and March 17 for immigrant visas, we are suspending non-immigrant visas (excepting certain categories) and reducing immigrant visas. We will resume routing visa services as soon as possible but are unable to provide a specific date at this time.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or travel agency regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Information on conditions in Romania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania
Embassy website: https://ro.usembassy.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter