Security Alert: U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania
June 16, 2022
Location: Bucharest, Romania
Event: Overcharging in areas frequented by tourists
Bucharest Police report an increase in incidents in areas frequented by tourists, such as Bucharest’s Old Town, where bars and nightclubs charge customers exorbitant prices for drinks. Romanian law does not cap prices for goods or services, which makes prosecution for overcharging very difficult. Bucharest Police call upon visitors to be careful and remain vigilant.
Actions to Take:
- Maintain security awareness in areas frequented by large numbers of tourists, especially when visiting bars or nightclubs in entertainment districts
- Be vigilant and confirm prices when ordering.
- Carefully review bills and bank card authorizations.
- Protect your bank card PIN.
- Request receipts for any bank card transaction (including unsuccessful transactions).
- If you believe you are a victim of fraudulent overcharging, contact your bank or the issuer of your credit cards to ask about contesting charges.
- Contact the Embassy’s American Citizens Services Unit if you require assistance.
American Citizen Services, U.S. Embassy, Bucharest, Romania
Embassy Phone Number: +40- 21-270-4444
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
+1 (202) 501-4444 (from overseas) or +1 (888) 407-4747 (from the United States)
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program to receive security updates