Obtaining Vital Records

The Embassy keeps no copies of the documents we issue, such as Consular Reports of Birth. These documents are filed in Washington. We also do not keep any files of Romanian civil documents, such as birth certificates, marriage certificates etc. Other records, such as birth certificates of people born in the U.S. are stored in the state of origin.

This page is designed to help you locate the vital documents you need. The Embassy cannot obtain documents on your behalf, and cannot provide translations of documents issued in Romanian. We recommend, however, when writing to the Romanian authorities, that you request an international version of the document in question.

Documents that must be ordered from the State Department in Washington, D.C.

  • Consular Report of Birth Abroad, a document issued by the American Embassy or Consulate reflecting the facts of birth abroad of a child acquiring U.S. citizenship at birth through one or both parents.
  • Report of Death of an American Citizen, a document issued by the American Embassy or Consulate reflecting the facts of death abroad of an American citizen.

Obtaining records issued by the Romanian Authorities

There is no central office for vital records in Romania. To obtain copies of birth, marriage, divorce, or death records, write to the Civil Registration District Office in the Town Hall where the event occurred. Vital records are on file from 1865 and in many cases, from much earlier. Current registration of vital records is considered fairly comprehensive. Prices vary by document and district.

The Embassy cannot obtain Romanian civil documents on behalf of private citizens, nor can we provide translation services. If you wish for assistance in the filing process, please refer to our list of local attorneys who can communicate in English.

Documents that must be obtained from a U.S. State

Vital Records are documents such as birth, death or marriage certificates. In the U.S., state, county or city governments, depending on location, usually hold such records. Here is some information to assist you in obtaining copies of such records: Obtaining vital records from the U.S.

Note: For your U.S. document to be accepted by the Romanian authorities, for example if you plan to get married, they also require that you provide an Apostille certificate.

Fee-based on-line services that help obtain records

  • One such service is VitalChek (800-255-2414), which allows you to request birth, death, and marriage certifications online, by phone, or by fax.
  • Another service called usbirthcertificate.net can help you obtain or amend a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, in addition to obtaining a birth certificate. You must have a physical street address to use this service (no APO’s, FPO’s, or PO Boxes).