Child and Family Matters

This section provides an overview of the intercountry adoption process, marriage and Consular Report of Birth Abroad information. The Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) is a formal document certifying the acquisition of United States citizenship at birth for a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent or parents who meet the requirements for transmitting citizenship under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).

CRBA applications must be made before the child’s 18th birthday. We recommend that parents apply for the CRBA as soon as possible after obtaining the child’s birth certificate. To apply, your child must have been born in Romania and you must travel to Bucharest for the in-person interview. You may apply for the child’s first U.S. passport at the same time. For more information, please visit our Birth page.