International Parental Child Abduction

The Department of State considers international parental child abduction, as well as the welfare and protection of U.S. citizen children taken overseas, to be important, serious matters. The Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues (CA/OCS/CI) is designated to provide assistance to the left-behind parents of international parental child abduction. For assistance with an abduction in progress or any emergency situation that occurs after normal business hours, on weekends or federal holidays, please call the toll-free number below.

International Parental Child Abduction Division
Toll free from U.S. and Canada: 1-888-407-4747
Call from abroad:  +1 202-501-4444
Fax: +1 202-485-6221

Romania and the United States of America are treaty partners under the 1980 Convention on the Civil Aspects of International Child Abduction. The Hague Convention may apply in your case if your child was taken from or to a country that is a partner with the U.S. under the Convention and your child was under sixteen at the time of the removal or retention.

Please refer to the country specific flyer for Romania if your child has been abducted to Romania.

If the taking parent is not willing to return the child voluntarily, the Romanian Central Authority can provide legal representation to the left-behind parent in court hearings.

If you are located in Romania and your child was abducted by the other parent, contact the Romanian Central Authority:

Ministry of Justice
Directorate of International Law and Judicial Cooperation
Service of judicial cooperation in civil and commercial matters
Str. Apolodor 17, Bucharest, Romania 050741
Tel.: +4037 204 1077
Fax: +4037 204 1084

The Romanian Central Authority may provide assistance in filling out a Hague application and let you know what supporting documents you need to provide with your application.  These documents will need to be translated into English.  The Central Authority will then forward your application, at its discretion, to The Department of State’s Office of Children’s Issues, to begin the process in the U.S.

Additional information concerning International Parental Child Abduction, prevention and steps you can take on your own can be found on the website of the Department of State at