Apply for an adult passport – my last passport was issued before I was 16 or more than 15 years ago

If you are applying to renew a U.S. passport issued before age 16 or more than 15 years ago, you must apply in person through a pre-arranged appointment.

Minors ages 16-17 with their own identification can apply for a passport by themselves.  However, it is recommended that at least one parent appear in person with the minor to identify him/her and to show parental awareness.

Note: Although the two-parent consent requirement does not apply to minors aged 16 or 17, per Department regulations (PDF) a passport generally will not be issued to a minor if a parent or legal guardian who has custodial rights over a minor has notified the Department in writing that he or she objects to issuance of the passport.

Examples of Parental Awareness:

  • Having a parent accompany the minor when applying, or
  •  A signed statement consenting to issuance of a passport from at least one parent (should be accompanied by a photocopy of that parent’s ID).