- Required Documents
- Processing Time and Return of Passport
You are required to bring the following to your appointment:
- Your most recent U.S. passport;
- Form DS-11. Please note that this is not an online application. It is a passport wizard that will prepare your application for a U.S. passport. You cannot submit an application for a U.S. passport online at this time. On the passport application form, please list your mailing address in Romania and a local telephone number where you can be reached. When you have finished filling out the information required, please print the form for submission to the Embassy. Do not sign it. You are required to sign the form before a consular officer. Social Security Number: Inclusion of a Social Security Number or an Application for a Social Security Number is now required for all passport applications. If you would like to apply for a U.S. passport, and you don’t have a Social Security Number, please click here.
- One passport sized (2x2inch) photograph – see our photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected; Romanian size photos will not be accepted;
- Government issued photo I.D (such as U.S or foreign passport, driving license or military I.D). A U.S. passport will meet this requirement if it is not expired;
- If your passport was issued more than 15 years ago, please provide 1-2 photographs per year from when your last passport was issued to present, to show how your appearance has changed (family or informal photos are acceptable);
- If you have changed your name since your previous U.S. passport was issued, you will be required to submit legal documentation (e.g. marriage certificate, Change of Name Deed) to prove this change;
- The non-refundable application fee for an adult U.S passport is $165.00. You will pay the fee in person to the Cashier at the time you appear at the Embassy. We accept cash payments in US dollars or Romanian lei. We cannot accept checks, but we do accept physical credit cards. You may pay using your VISA, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club or American Express card. Please be advised that due to intermittent network connection issues we are sometimes unable to process credit card payments. Fees cannot be paid with virtual cards.
Please note: There is no walk-in service for United States citizens who require a service related to passports, citizenship or birth registration. These services are by appointment only. For information about setting up an appointment, and how to change or cancel your appointment, please click here. Note that you cannot schedule an appointment over the phone.