Under passport regulations, an individual may not possess more than one passport of any one type (tourist, official, diplomatic) at the same time. On occasion, the Department of State will make an exception to this policy for individuals who travel extensively and often for business purposes. The issuance of a second passport is not automatic and should be considered an exception to the regulations. Second passports are issued for a validity of four years, on an individual basis, provided a valid justification for issuance exists.
Second passports may be issued if:
- A passport is needed both for confirmed travel and submission for foreign visa applications simultaneously;
- The primary passport is held by the government or foreign embassy and the applicant has confirmed travel; and/or
- The applicant has confirmed travel plans to a foreign country which will deny a visa or entry to the bearer of a passport containing markings or visas showing travel to certain other countries.
Applications for a second tourist passport should include the following:
- Your current primary full validity passport and/or your previous second passport (if applicable);
- One U.S. passport sized (2×2 inch) photograph – see our photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected. Romanian size photographs are not accepted;
- A written statement giving the reasons why the second passport is required and attesting that the loss or theft of either passport will be reported immediately to the nearest Consulate, Embassy, or passport agency (download a sample statement);
- The non-refundable application fee for an adult U.S passport is $130.00. The fee can be paid at the Consular Section cashier. We accept cash payments in US dollars or Romanian lei. We cannot accept checks, but we do accept credit cards. You may pay using your VISA, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club or American Express card. Please be advised that due to intermittent network connection issues we are sometimes unable to process credit card payments. There are no ATMs on site. To avoid potential delays in service, we encourage you to bring sufficient cash with you in the event that we are unable to process your payment via credit card.
- Form DS-82 (click to be taken to the form). Complete the form, print and sign it. Please note that this is not an online application. It is a passport wizard that will prepare your application for a U.S. passport. You cannot submit an application for a U.S. passport online at this time. On the passport application form, please list your mailing address in Romania and a local telephone number where you can be reached. When you have finished filling out the information required, please print the form for submission to the Embassy. DO NOT mail this form to the United States. Social Security Number: Inclusion of a Social Security Number or an Application for a Social Security Number is now required for all passport applications. If you would like to apply for a U.S. passport, and you don’t have a Social Security Number, please click here.
Please note: There is no walk-in service for United States citizens who require a service related to passports, citizenship or birth registration. These services are by appointment only. For information about setting up an appointment, and how to change or cancel your appointment, please use this link: Schedule an Appointment. Note that you cannot schedule an appointment over the phone.