Under passport regulations, an individual may not possess more than one passport of any one type (tourist, official, diplomatic) at the same time. On occasion, the Department of State will make an exception to this policy for individuals who travel extensively and often for business purposes. The issuance of a second passport is not automatic and should be considered an exception to the regulations. Second passports are issued for a validity of four years, on an individual basis, provided a valid justification for issuance exists.
Second passports may be issued if:
- A passport is needed both for confirmed travel and submission for foreign visa applications simultaneously;
- The primary passport is held by the government or foreign embassy and the applicant has confirmed travel; and/or
- The applicant has confirmed travel plans to a foreign country which will deny a visa or entry to the bearer of a passport containing markings or visas showing travel to certain other countries.
Applications for a second tourist passport should include the following:
- Your current primary full validity passport and/or your previous second passport (if applicable);
- One U.S. passport sized (2×2 inch) photograph – see our photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected. Romanian size photographs are not accepted;
- A written statement giving the reasons why the second passport is required and attesting that the loss or theft of either passport will be reported immediately to the nearest Consulate, Embassy, or passport agency (download a sample statement);
- The non-refundable application fee for an adult U.S passport is $110.00. The fee can be paid at the Consular Section cashier. We accept cash payments in US dollars or Romanian lei. We cannot accept checks, but we do accept credit cards. You may pay using your VISA, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club or American Express card. Please be advised that due to intermittent network connection issues we are sometimes unable to process credit card payments. There are no ATMs on site. To avoid potential delays in service, we encourage you to bring sufficient cash with you in the event that we are unable to process your payment via credit card.
- Form DS-82 (Click to be taken to the form). DO NOT mail this form to the United States.
Please note: There is no walk-in service for United States citizens who require a service related to passports, citizenship or birth registration. These services are by appointment only.
When scheduling the appointment please enter a valid telephone number and a valid email address where you would like to receive notifications concerning your appointment. You may print a copy of your appointment confirmation, although are not required to present a printout of the confirmation sheet on the day of the appointment as your name will be on the access list for that day.
You should make a written note of the following when the appointment is saved:
- The appointment confirmation number generated.
- The date and time for your appointment. You will not receive email confirmation of the appointment date.
- The appointment password. You will require the password if you need to cancel the appointment. No record of your password is kept at the Embassy.
If you are unable to keep your appointment, please reschedule or cancel it as soon as possible. This will allow us to offer the spot to another customer.
Upon arrival at the Embassy for their appointment, U.S. citizens should go directly to the entrance – do not stand in the visa application line. Show your U.S. passport or other type of photo ID and your appointment confirmation sheet (if you were able to print it) to the local security guards. You will go through a security screening process before entering the Embassy grounds. Look for directions for ACS customers to enter the consular waiting room. Once inside the waiting room, take a number from the Qmatic “ACS” button and proceed toward window 14.
To schedule an appointment online please use the following link: US Passport Appointment. DO NOT use this link to make appointments for visa applicants or legal residents, such appointments cannot be honored. To set an appointment for a visa applicant or legal permanent resident, please visit the Visas page and follow the instructions from the “Contact Us” box. Each applicant requiring a service at the Embassy must have a separate appointment.
If you have immediate travel plans and have not been able to set an appointment online before your departure date, please contact the American Citizen Services to request an emergency appointment.
You can expect to be at the Embassy for approximately 1 hour depending on the number of customers.