Please note: There is no walk-in service for United States citizens who require a service related to passports, citizenship or birth registration. These services are by appointment only.
If you are eligible to renew your passport by mail, please utilize this option to avoid visiting the embassy. In-person appointments are available to applicants who must file using application form DS-11 (minors, applicants age 16 – 21, or applicants whose previous passports were lost or stolen) and to applicants who are eligible to renew by mail but do not have the time to do so.
For those who require an in-person appointment, please consider the following:
- We will open new appointments as often as we can and reopen canceled appointments daily. Please continue to check our website for availability.
- If you are NOT traveling in the next three months, we ask that you not schedule an appointment at this time to allow citizens with urgent needs to take advantage of any availability online.
- If you are traveling in the next month and have been unable to find an appointment online, please email us at ACSBucharest@state.gov, and include:
- that you are required to appear in person and the reason (last passport lost/stolen, you have a confirmed flight in less than four weeks, etc.)
- the full names and dates of birth of everyone that will be attending the appointment
- your plane ticket or travel itinerary, clearly showing the dates of travel and the passengers traveling
- a telephone number that you may be contacted at.
- Form DS-82. Complete the form, print and sign it. Please note that this is not an online application. It is a passport wizard that will prepare your application for a U.S. passport. You cannot submit an application for a U.S. passport online at this time. On the passport application form, please list your mailing address in Romania and a local telephone number where you can be reached. When you have finished filling out the information required, please print the form for submission to the Embassy. DO NOT mail the form to the United States. Social Security Number: Inclusion of a Social Security Number or an Application for a Social Security Number is now required for all passport applications. If you would like to apply for a U.S. passport, and you don’t have a Social Security Number, please click here.
- One U.S. passport sized (2×2 inch) photograph – see our photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected. Romanian size photographs are not accepted.
- Your most recent U.S. passport.
- Name change documentation, if applicable (marriage certificate, court order, name change deed). These documents will be returned to you once processing has been completed.
- The non-refundable application fee for an adult passport renewal is $130.00.
The fee can be paid at the Consular Section cashier. We accept cash payments in US dollars or Romanian lei. We cannot accept checks, but we do accept credit cards. You may pay using your VISA, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club or American Express card. Please be advised that due to intermittent network connection issues we are sometimes unable to process credit card payments.
The usual processing time for a new passport is 7 -10 business days from the date when we received your application and payment. The new passport can be sent to you with the TNT/FedEx express mail service once processing has been completed. The delivery time is 24 – 48 hrs and the fee is 23,56 lei paid at the time of delivery. We will contact you by telephone or e-mail before sending your new passport with TNT.