You are required to submit the following:
- Form DS-82. Complete the form online, print and sign it. On your DS-82 form, please list your mailing address in Romania and a local telephone number where you can be reached. DO NOT mail the form to the United States.
- One U.S. passport sized (2×2 inch) photograph – see our photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected. Romanian size photographs are not accepted;
- Your most recent U.S. passport;
- Name change documentation, if applicable (marriage certificate, court order, name change deed). These documents will be returned to you once processing has been completed.
- The non-refundable application fee for an adult passport renewal is $110.00.
The fee can be paid at the Consular Section cashier. We accept cash payments in US dollars or Romanian lei. We cannot accept checks, but we do accept credit cards. You may pay using your VISA, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club or American Express card. Please be advised that due to intermittent network connection issues we are sometimes unable to process credit card payments. There are no ATMs on site. To avoid potential delays in service, we encourage you to bring the exact amount in cash with you in the event that we are unable to process your payment via credit card.
Passport applications can be submitted by appointment only. The usual processing time for a new passport is 7 -10 business days.
You may renew your passport by mail if you meet all of the following requirements:
- You can include the fees in the form of a U.S. Postal Money Order or Cashier’s check issued by an American bank in U.S. dollars in amount of $110 payable to “U.S. Department of State”. We cannot accept cash (notes or coins), credit or debit cards for applications by mail. We are also unable to accept electronic transfer, personal or company checks (cheques), SWIFT transfers, IBAN transfers, e-transfers, certified checks, traveler’s checks, or counter checks.
- Your most recent U.S Passport:
- Is undamaged and can be submitted with your application;
- Was issued within the last 15 years;
- Was issued with 10 year validity; and
- Was issued in your current name or you have changed your name and can submit legal documentation (e.g. marriage certificate, Change of Name Deed) to prove this change.
Mail your completed application, including your most recent passport, name change document (if applicable), photo, and fees, to the address below by registered mail or TNT courier: U.S. Embassy Bucharest, 4-6 Liviu Librescu Blvd, Bucharest, Romania 015118, Attn: American Citizen Services.