Please note: There is no walk-in service for United States citizens who require a service related to passports, citizenship or birth registration. These services are by appointment only. If you need a passport for immediate international travel or for reasons relating to immigration, please email the American Citizen Services unit at ACSBucharest@state.gov to request an emergency appointment. Your email should include the full name of the passport applicant, date of birth, telephone number, email address, the accompanying parents’ names if the application is for a minor, the expiration date of your the most recent passport, and the applicant’s travel date or the reason for requesting the appointment.
You are required to submit the following:
- Form DS-82. Complete the form, print and sign it. Please note that this is not an online application. It is a passport wizard that will prepare your application for a U.S. passport. You cannot submit an application for a U.S. passport online at this time. On the passport application form, please list your mailing address in Romania and a local telephone number where you can be reached. When you have finished filling out the information required, please print the form for submission to the Embassy. DO NOT mail the form to the United States. Social Security Number: Inclusion of a Social Security Number or an Application for a Social Security Number is now required for all passport applications. If you would like to apply for a U.S. passport, and you don’t have a Social Security Number, please click here.
- One U.S. passport sized (2×2 inch) photograph – see our photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected. Romanian size photographs are not accepted;
- Your most recent U.S. passport;
- Name change documentation, if applicable (marriage certificate, court order, name change deed). These documents will be returned to you once processing has been completed.
- The non-refundable application fee for an adult passport renewal is $110.00.
The fee can be paid at the Consular Section cashier. We accept cash payments in US dollars or Romanian lei. We cannot accept checks, but we do accept credit cards. You may pay using your VISA, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club or American Express card. Please be advised that due to intermittent network connection issues we are sometimes unable to process credit card payments.
The usual processing time for a new passport is 7 -10 business days from the date when we received your application and payment. The new passport can be sent to you with the TNT/FedEx express mail service once processing has been completed. The delivery time is 24 – 48 hrs and the fee is 23,56 lei paid at the time of delivery. We will contact you by telephone or e-mail before sending your new passport with TNT.