- Required Documents
- Processing Time and Return of Passport
You will need to bring the following:
- Your child’s most recent U.S. passport.
- Form DS-11. Please note that this is not an online application. It is a passport wizard that will prepare your application for a U.S. passport. You cannot submit an application for a U.S. passport online at this time. On the passport application form, please list your mailing address in Romania and a local telephone number where you can be reached. When you have finished filling out the information required, please print the form for submission to the Embassy. Do not sign it. You are required to sign the form before a consular officer. Social Security Number: Inclusion of a Social Security Number or an Application for a Social Security Number is now required for all passport applications. If you would like to apply for a U.S. passport, and you don’t have a Social Security Number, please click here.
- One U.S. passport sized (2×2 inch) photograph – see our photo requirements for information. Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected. Romanian sized photos will not be accepted.
- If your child was under 5 at the time their last passport was issued, or his/her appearance has changes in the last five years, present 1-2 photographs per year from when that passport was issued to present (family or informal photographs are acceptable).
- Your child’s birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad, showing the parent’s name(s).
- Government issued photo I.D of parents (such as U.S or foreign passport, driving licence or military I.D).
- The non-refundable application fee for a U.S passport under 16 is $135.00. You will pay the fee in person to the cashier at the time you appear at the Embassy. We accept cash payments in US dollars or Romanian lei. We cannot accept checks, but we do accept credit cards. You may pay using your VISA, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club or American Express card. Please be advised that due to intermittent network connection issues we are sometimes unable to process credit card payments. There are no ATMs on site. To avoid potential delays in service, we encourage you to bring the exact amount in cash with you in the event that we are unable to process your payment via credit card.
Please note: There is no walk-in service for United States citizens who require a service related to passports, citizenship or birth registration. These services are by appointment only. For information about setting up an appointment, and how to change or cancel your appointment, please use this link: Schedule an Appointment. Note that you cannot schedule an appointment over the phone.