Required documents

You will need to bring the following:

  • Form DS-11. Please note that this is not an online application. It is a passport wizard that will prepare your application for a U.S. passport. You cannot submit an application for a U.S. passport online at this time. On the passport application form, please list your mailing address in Romania and a local telephone number where you can be reached. When you have finished filling out the information required, please print the form for submission to the Embassy. Do not sign it.  You are required to sign the form before a consular officer.  Social Security Number: Inclusion of a Social Security Number or an Application for a Social Security Number is now required for all passport applications. If you would like to apply for a U.S. passport, and you don’t have a Social Security Number, please click here.
  • Form DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport. This form will automatically be generated if completing the online Form DS-11 or you can download a PDF version. Submitting this form will permanently declare your passport as lost/stolen.
  • One passport sized (2x2inch) photograph– see our photo requirements for information.  Photos which do not meet the requirements will be rejected.
  • Non-refundable application fee: $135 (for applicants under the age of 16)
    $165 (for applicants age 16 and over). You will pay the fee in person to the Cashier at the time you appear at the Embassy. We accept cash payments in US dollars or Romanian lei. We cannot accept checks, but we do accept credit cards. You may pay using your VISA, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club or American Express card. Please be advised that due to intermittent network connection issues we are sometimes unable to process credit card payments. There are no ATMs on site.  To avoid potential delays in service, we encourage you to bring sufficient cash with you in the event that we are unable to process your payment via credit card.
  • Evidence of U.S. citizenship – such evidence may include but is not limited to:
    • Birth Certificate
    • Consular Report of Birth Abroad
    • Expired U.S. Passport
    • Passport Card
  • For applicants under 16, both parents must attend with the child and present evidence of parentage (such as child’s birth certificate or consular report of birth abroad, listing parents’ names) and government-issued photo identification
  • Applicants aged 16-17 should be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian.  The accompanying adult must present government issued photo identification
  • If your passport was issued more than 15 years ago, please provide photographs per from when your last passport was issued to present, to show how your appearance has changed (family or informal photos are acceptable);
  • If you have changed your name since your previous U.S. passport was issued, you will be required to submit legal documentation (e.g. marriage certificate, Change of Name Deed) to prove this change.

For information about setting up an appointment, and how to change or cancel your appointment, please click here. Note that you cannot schedule an appointment over the phone.