For those who require an in-person U.S. passport appointment, please consider the following:
- We will open new appointments as often as we can and reopen canceled appointments daily.
- If you are traveling in the next month and have been unable to find an appointment online, email us at ACSBucharest@state.gov and include:
- the reason why you request an appointment to appear in person (minor passport, first adult passport, last passport lost/stolen, etc.)
- the full names and dates of birth of everyone that will be attending the appointment (parents and minors for minor passport appointments)
- the expiration date of the passport, if you are filing for renewal of an expiring or expired passport
- your plane ticket or travel itinerary, clearly showing the dates of travel and the passengers traveling
- a telephone number that you may be contacted at.
Before you schedule your U.S. passport appointment:
Review the list of requirements to ensure that you have all the necessary documents for us to accept and process your application. For the list of requirements, please select the appropriate category of passport application here.
When scheduling your U.S. passport appointment:
- You may schedule only one appointment per family (i.e. enter the name of an applicant and add “+ 1 adult, 2 children”).
- Enter a valid telephone number and valid email address where you can be contacted for information concerning your appointment.
- If the appointment is not for a minor applicant, indicate the reason why you are requesting the appointment in the field “Notes” (DS-11 form, lost/stolen passport, passport expired for more than five years, first adult passport, etc).
- Once the appointment is set, you should make a written note of the following information that will appear on the screen:
- Appointment confirmation number. You will not receive an email with your appointment confirmation.
- Date and time for your appointment.
- Appointment password. You will require the password if you need to cancel or reschedule your appointment. No record of your password is kept at the Embassy. If you are unable to keep your appointment, please reschedule or cancel as soon as possible.
Schedule your appointment for a U.S. passport using this link: US Passport Appointment.
DO NOT use the above link to make appointments for visa applicants or legal residents. Such appointments cannot be honored. For visa appointments, please visit the Visas page on the embassy website.
Attending your appointment:
- Ensure you have all the documents we require to accept and process your application (review the requirements here).
- Bring your unsigned barcoded DS-11 passport application form. We must scan the application barcode at the window during intake of your documents. To generate the barcoded form, fill out your form DS-11 online and print it prior to your appointment. If you choose to fill out the application hand, expect the acceptance time to increase greatly, because your data will have to be entered manually prior to your interview.
Arriving at the Embassy:
You are not required to present a printout of the confirmation sheet to enter the Embassy, although you may wish to keep a copy for your records. Please arrive no earlier than 15 minutes prior to your appointment time and present your passport or photo ID at the gate.
There are two lines to enter the U.S. Embassy: one line is strictly for visa applicants; the other line is for American Citizen Service (ACS) customers and other visitors to the Embassy, and usually requires no waiting.
Upon arrival at the Embassy for their appointment, U.S. citizens should go directly to the entrance – do not stand in the visa application line. Show your U.S. passport or other type of photo ID and your appointment confirmation sheet (if you were able to print it) to the local security guards. You will go through a security screening process before entering the Embassy grounds. Look for directions for ACS customers to enter the consular waiting room. You can expect to be at the Embassy for approximately 1 hour depending on the number of customers. Please be aware that wait times may be longer for first time applicants.
If you have immediate travel plans and have not been able to set an appointment online before your departure date, please contact ACSBucharest@state.gov to request an emergency appointment.
For information on our address and objects that may not be brought inside the embassy, please click here.