Health Alert – U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania (April 2, 2020)
Event: The National Public Health Institute of Romania has announced that the United States will be placed on the Red Zone list of nations affected by COVID-19. Anyone traveling from the United States entering Romania will be subject to an institutional quarantine for 14 days. This ordinance will go into effect at midnight tonight (April 2, 2020). You can find more information at the National Public Health Institute’s website here, and a list of Red Zone nations here.
Actions to Take:
- Notify friends or relatives who you know are traveling from the United States that they will be placed in quarantine for 14 days upon arrival in Romania.
- U.S. citizens who live abroad should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.
- Visit the Otopeni “Henri Coanda” International Airport website for a schedule of departing flights and check with airlines for updated information about your travel plans.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information and the CDC’s latest recommendations on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 Information on conditions in Romania.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the U.S.
U.S. Embassy Bucharest, Romania
B-dul Dr. Liviu Librescu, nr 4-6
Section 1, 014118, Bucuresti
Embassy website: https://ro.usembassy.gov
State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444